June is Men’s Health Month
Heart disease is the is the leading cause of death among men in America, so Men’s Health Month is the perfect time to review the American Heart Association’s warning signs of a heart attack.
Don’t wait to get help if you experience any of these heart attack warning signs. Although some heart attacks are sudden and intense, most start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Pay attention to your body — and call 911 if you feel:
- Chest discomfort that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms or shoulders.
- Pain or discomfort in the jaw, neck or back.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
Learn the signs, but remember this: Even if you’re not sure it’s a heart attack, have it checked out. Minutes matter! Fast action can save lives — maybe your own. Don’t wait – call 911 or your emergency response number.
Calling 911 is almost always the fastest way to get lifesaving treatment. Emergency medical services (EMS) staff can begin treatment when they arrive — up to an hour sooner than if someone gets to the hospital by car. EMS staff are also trained to revive someone whose heart has stopped. Patients with chest pain who arrive by ambulance usually receive faster treatment at the hospital, too. It is best to call EMS for rapid transport to the emergency room.
Interested in learning more? Additional tools and resources on heart attacks are available from the American Heart Association. For more information on Men’s Health Month, visit menshealthmonth.org.
HeartCert CPR is your trusted training partner for First Aid and CPR in Minnesota. Find your CPR Class, PALS Class, BLS Class or ACLS Class at any of our Minnesota locations:
- HeartCert CPR Minneapolis
- HeartCert CPR St. Paul
- HeartCert CPR Burnsville
- HeartCert CPR Eden Prairie
- HeartCert CPR Richfield
- HeartCert CPR Woodbury
- HeartCert CPR Eagan
- HeartCert CPR Brooklyn Park
- HeartCert CPR Blaine
We also partner with Duluth, Mankato, Rochester, Appleton and Anchorage for select classes.