May is American Stroke Month. We can all do our part to raise awareness of the risk factors leading to strokes. The truth is that 80% of strokes are preventable. Keeping your blood pressure under control drastically reduces your risk of stroke.
This infographic from the American Heart Association explains how:
High Blood Pressure Facts:
- Normal blood pressure is below 120/80.
- Most people who have a first stroke have high blood pressure.
- At age 50, people without high blood pressure have a life expectancy of 5 years longer than people with high blood pressure.
- Stoke happens when a clot or rupture interrupts blood flow to the brain. Without oxygen-rich blood, brain cells die.
- 80% of strokes can be prevented.
- Nearly 1 in 6 American adults with high blood pressure don’t know.
- Have your blood pressure checked and keep it in check to reduce your risk of stroke.
Want more information? Learn about American Stroke Month on the American Heart Association’s website.
HeartCert CPR is your trusted training partner for First Aid and CPR in Minnesota. Find your CPR Class, PALS Class, BLS Class or ACLS Class at any of our Minnesota locations:
- HeartCert CPR Minneapolis
- HeartCert CPR St. Paul
- HeartCert CPR Burnsville
- HeartCert CPR Eden Prairie
- HeartCert CPR Richfield
- HeartCert CPR Woodbury
- HeartCert CPR Eagan
- HeartCert CPR Brooklyn Park
- HeartCert CPR Blaine
We also partner with Duluth, Mankato, Rochester, Appleton and Anchorage for select classes.